Man Convicted Of Killing Woman Ends 79 Day Hunger Strike

VIRGINIA

BEACH, Va. (AP) - A man convicted of fatally poisoning his ex-girlfriend has ended his 79-day hunger strike.

The Virginian-Pilot reports 30-year-old Joseph Merlino III broke his fast on July Fourth with a special holiday meal that was served to all inmates. Court documents say Merlino had expressed fears that someone was trying to poison him, though jail staff said the reasoning behind his hunger strike kept changing.

Merlino began refusing meals in April, and a judge ruled he couldn't be force-fed. Virginia Beach Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Kathy Hieatt says Merlino is no longer on medical observation. She says Merlino's housing still is being determined, with the goal of returning him to general population.

Merlino was convicted last month of injecting 35-year-old Ellie Tran with a fatal dose of cyanide on Valentine's Day 2017.

Source : http://www.wboc.com/story/38583353/man-convicted-of-killing-woman-ends-79-day-hunger-strike

Man Convicted of Killing Woman Ends 79-Day Hunger Strike
Virginia Beach man found guilty of poisoning wife with cyanide ends prison hunger strike after 79 days
After 100 years, US Catholicism still bears the stamp of World War I
The Month in Pictures: April 2017
We spoke to the inmate in solitary who inspired a national strike against 'modern-day slave conditions'
OFF AND RUNNING – HE’S OUT OF JAIL, BUT AL’S MUM ON ENDORSING FERRER
'The Rachel Maddow Show'for Wednesday, June 3
Internment, Torture, Executions: The Basque Country in the dying days of the Franco dictatorship
Rikers Island timeline: jail’s origins and controversies
The Month in Pictures: May 2012